Discoverer Migration Assistant – OBIEE
The 5 Step Process:
- Plan for a Discovery and Assessment phase to understand effort, and design approach, considering security, performance, report migrations, End-User exposure and adaptability
- Export the Discoverer Metadata (.eex file)
- Configure and Run the Discoverer Migration Assistant (Command Line Interface)
- Update the RPD from OBIEE 10g to 11g
- Build OBI Answers, Requests and Dashboards
- Deploy OBIEE 11g
The discoverer migration process for OBIEE is only a path, and not a full scale migration tool. The idea of how it works is first to identify all the applicable metadata layer (EUL) in your Discoverer environment. You would then configure and run the Discoverer Migration Assistant, which will begin to convert the EUL from Discoverer into a custom metadata repository in OBIEE, called RPD. However, the RPD produced by the Discoverer Migration Assistant creates it for OBIEE 10g, which would then need to convert to an OBIEE 11g RPD. Users would then have to build reports, requests and dashboards based on the RPD (Discoverer Workbooks) in OBIEE. Finally, after vigorous testing, the discoverer migration would be complete.
There are some lessons learned from using the Discoverer Migration Process:
- Best when used against an existing data warehouse (star schema) – most organizations did not have this in place in Discoverer
- Certain joins such as 1:1 joins, reciprocal joins, joins that have a calculation in the condition and duplicate joins will not be migrated
- Workbooks are not migrated – You will HAVE TO RECREATE ALL REPORTS in OBIEE’s Presentation Layer! *
- Optional conditions are not migrated
- Item hierarchies based on complex folders will not be migrated
- Discoverer Date Hierarchy templates will not be migrated
- Item Classes are not migrated
- Discoverer Summary Folders are not migrated
*The most tedious task, of recreating the report layer from scratch in OBIEE. This along with the testing piece take the longest deployment time with Oracle Discoverer Migration Utility.
Other important pieces to keep in mind is that custom development will be required. The RPD generated by the Migration Assistant will have a lot of gaps, coming from SQL based solution. These gaps will be required to be understood and developed, to be able to deploy a working metadata repository.
Discoverer Security was tightly integrated with Oracle EBS roles and responsibilities. This will not be the same case with OBIEE. The security model will have to be built from scratch and will not carried over from Discoverer into OBIEE. Organizations will have to maintain different repositories for different groups and manager security via the Web logic Administrator, a Key part of Oracle OBIEE Administration.
Polaris Discoverer Import/Export Utility
Polaris Associates provides an import Utility to migrate your Discoverer reports directly into Reporting Workbench.
How it Works:
- Convert all your Standard Objects, Custom Objects and your Complex Objects to RWB Reports
- Perform this in minutes – as simple as exporting from Disco and Importing into RWB.
Value Added Proposition
- Ability to leverage your Disco investment using RWB
- Eliminate Disco dependency
- Dynamic data visualizations – allowing end users to not only execute reports, but analyze their data sets.
There are a limited amount of customizations required with the Import Process. However, all major aspects such as Security of the reports will still be intact once converting the reports from Discoverer to Reporting Workbench. Other great features to migrate from Oracle Discoverer to Reporting Workbench includes the ability to completely customize the framework. Being built like an Oracle Self Service module, it gives you the flexibility to customize and menu, function or profile in the reporting tool.
Furthermore, all security aspects (role/responsibility) based on your Discoverer Reports, will trickle down into Reporting Workbench.
In conclusion, there are many options available to migrate away from Oracle Discoverer. When companies choose OBIEE and the Discoverer Migration Assistant, we have noticed that implementation time can exceed months if not quarters or years. New skillsets are also required for transactional users to learn. This will also have major IT intervention, as with any new complex technology that is new in the marketplace. Polaris’ Reporting Workbenches’ Discover Import/Export utility is a major player, with a much smaller footprint. With installations in a week and implementations in a month, users can have their Discoverer Reports live in short period of time. Furthermore no additional hardware is needed, no new skillsets are required and it reduces the dependency from IT resource.
Polaris Associates offers an Operational Reporting solution for Oracle E-Business Suite called Reporting Workbench (http://www.polarisassociates.com) and an application agnostic management reporting solution called ORBIT Analytics (http://www.orbitanalytics.com).
Reporting Workbench is the preferred upgrade from Oracle Discoverer.
Download our Free Guide to Discoverer Replacement today!